Monday, June 8, 2009

Insurance Rant

My insurance company wants us to use their mail order pharmacy for all maintenance prescriptions. If we don't, we have to pay more for our prescriptions. I dutifully transferred my prescriptions to them over a year ago. I really don't want Daughter's prescriptions coming through a mail order pharmacy, as she has 4 different doctors prescribing medication for her, and I'd prefer to have a local pharmacist keeping tabs. The deciding factor, though, is that the mail order company does not take medicaid. Medicaid pays most of the copay, leaving us with a $2 copay on a few of her prescriptions. For us, it would be much more expensive to go mail order for her prescriptions.
.
I contacted the mail order pharmacy by email several months ago to ask if they'd take her medicaid. They wrote back that they didn't, but I could save money by transferring her prescriptions to them. No, I couldn't.
.
Every time we fill her prescriptions at the pharmacy, I get a letter from the mail order pharmacy telling me how much I could have saved by using them. They send a letter, complete with .44 postage, for each prescription. Last month I got 16 of them. That's 7.04 not counting the cost of all the paper and generating the letters. I sent another email, telling them I would not be switching as she had medicaid, so they would be more expensive, and asking them to stop wasting money sending me the notifications.
.
Friday I received a message on my answering machine from someone at the Board of Pensions telling me I could save over $1,700 every three months if I'd switch her prescriptions. Today, I received 7 more letters from the mail order pharmacy telling me I could save money by switching her prescriptions to them.
.
I give up.

No comments: