Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Saying No

I've said no twice today. Once was easy, once was hard. Daughter called as I was on my way to the funeral home. She wanted to know what I was doing. She thought maybe I could come pick her up, because she wasn't feeling good because of her medication. I informed her it wasn't her medication, it was the box she'd gotten herself into and she needed to make a plan to begin getting out of it. When she heard I was on my way to the funeral home and then the nursing home, she knew she'd have to ride the bus.
.
I was visiting one of the saints at the nursing home when my cell phone rang the second time. It was Sister. She wanted me to come. Dad was being admitted to the hospital, Brother is out of town, and she was feeling overwhelmed. It was harder to tell her no. I explained I have a funeral tomorrow morning, and couldn't leave. I felt guilty. An ambulance took Dad to the hospital, and Sister made arrangements to go over to the hospital after she picked up Niece from daycare. They will be giving him blood. Apparently, he was on too much blood thinner, and so when he started having bleeding problems, he quickly became severely anemic. The visiting nurse sounded the alarm when she visited him today. I'm glad today was a day she was scheduled to see him.
.
After I said no to Daughter and Sister, I stopped by the grocery store. In addition to the bananas and sausage we needed, I bought some chocolate. I decided I needed that. At some point, I'm going to have to make another trip up there. But not today. I have a funeral tomorrow. I'm not going to run out on a funeral.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

praying for you... in these difficult times. shalom.

Reverend Mom said...

Thanks. The prayers are carrying me through.