Thursday, May 7, 2009

Celebrating Life

I will soon be leading a memorial service for a woman who was a longtime member of the church. I knew her, but not well, as she had moved to be closer to family members shortly after I arrived here. She died last fall, but the family decided to wait until now to bring her cremains here to be interred beside her husband.
.
In the past week, I have had the pleasure of talking with all of her descendants by phone. They called to share memories of Grandma, and I am grateful for all they shared. For me, the opportunity to celebrate the life of one of the saints is a distinct honor. J was over 90 years old, and she had a great impact on the lives of those she met. Each time I spoke with one of her grandchildren, I felt like I must be talking to her favorite grandchild, as I couldn't imagine her having such a close relationship with all of her grandchildren.
.
Each described a woman of deep faith who listened to them and accepted them where they were, while encouraging them to move to a better place. They knew that she loved and accepted them, no matter what. She could talk to anyone, as she had so many interests. She was always eager to learn, and technological advances fascinated her. She was a student of the Bible, and would have deep, long discussions about various passages. She wanted to learn more, and had an open mind. Too many people view the Bible as a rule book, and use it as a weapon against those who they disagree with or who are doing things that they view as evil. Her approach was much less rigid. She was always willing to learn and modify her opinion. She saw the Bible as a love story, not a rule book.
.
Her daughter told me that she was always reading at least two books: a trashy novel and a devotional book. As she grew older and less able to do things for others, she found new ways to minister. She had a long list of people for whom she made cards. She was especially concerned with her older friends, who might feel isolated and lonely. If anyone had a right to feel isolated and lonely, it was J, who had moved several states away from all her friends. She was happy, though, and her family loved her as much as she loved them.
.
It will be an honor to celebrate her life here on earth and her life in heaven and offer comfort to her family and friends. I wish I had known her better, as she truly was a remarkable woman. I hope that people will remember me as someone who accepted and loved people as they are while encouraging them to move to a better place. I hope that I will always be able to reach out to those who are in need, and find new ways to do it when I am no longer able to get around as much. I hope I will never use the Bible to beat anyone up, but will always point to it as the story of God's great love for us.

No comments: