Saturday, May 9, 2009

Wind Swept

I am so glad I had an excuse not to go sit in the bleachers at the college where the area track meet is taking place. We have been under a wind advisory all day. The wind is 30 mph with gusts to 45 mph. The committal at the cemetery was challenging, as there was nothing to break the wind. I had the service carefully placed in a notebook and held on tight.
.
A stranger showed up at 7:00 this morning to take Daughter to the track meet. The supervisor who does the scheduling never returned my calls. The Special Olympics coordinator made some calls, and someone found a note in one of the group homes to the staff member who was taking one of their residents telling her she needed to take Daughter, as well. I didn't know if she was picking her up or I was taking her, but fortunately, she showed up before I left to take Daughter to the bus. I asked her if she knew how to handle Daughter's insulin, and she didn't know what I was talking about. I gave her the pouch with the insulin pen and supplies, wrote out the scale, and told her to call me if she has any questions. I think I need to have a conversation with the supervisor next week.
.
From our phone conversations, Daughter is doing well. She won a gold medal in the soft ball throw and silver in the 100 meter dash. I'm so glad I'm not sitting in those bleachers.
.
I'm also very glad that the family decided not to have the entire service at the cemetery today. For a while I lived on the shores of Lake Michigan in an area notorious for strong winds. This flat farmland has much more wind.

No comments: