Sunday, May 24, 2009

Heartless

Daughter is on some pretty heavy duty medications. When she is taking them regularly, she doesn't have any problems with drowsiness or side effects. Since she had not been taking them regularly and has started back up on them all at once, she isn't feeling very well. I don't have much sympathy for her. By the time she goes back to the workshop on Tuesday, she should have adjusted and be feeling better, but for now, she's dizzy and drowsy.
.
This morning she came downstairs and told me she couldn't eat because her stomach was bothering her. I didn't offer any sympathy, so she went back to bed. I went upstairs and told her she needed to get up and get in the shower. She came into the bathroom holding onto things and being exceedingly dramatic about her dizziness. I told her if she was having trouble standing, she could take a bath instead of a shower.
.
Whenever I wasn't watching, she was maneuvering just fine, so I wasn't overly concerned. When we got over to worship, I noticed she sat through the second hymn. Part way through my sermon she headed to the bathroom, and the woman she was sitting with followed her. I knew she was getting lots of sympathy, and I wasn't real thrilled about that.
.
During the offering, I stuck my head in the women's restroom. Daughter was laying down with a cool paper towel on her forehead. M assured me she was fine, just dizzy. I asked her if Daughter had told her why she was dizzy. She looked surprised. I told her why she was dizzy, and then I left to finish the worship service.
.
This afternoon I dragged poor, suffering, Daughter with me to town. We had lunch at a fast food place she doesn't like. She asked me if I could figure out a small chocolate shake for her. I told her that before she started asking me for favors, I thought it would be a good idea to start making amends.
.
I dragged her to 2 hospitals where she waited in the lobby while I went up to do visits. I ran into some of the saints at the one hospital, who were quite concerned about Daughter. I told them not to offer her any sympathy, it was her own doing. I am heartless. After the hospitals, I dragged her through the grocery store. She asked for special treats. I reminded her that she needed to make amends first.
.
We didn't get home until 4:00, and after she unloaded the car and put away the groceries, she went to bed. I woke her up for a late supper. I think she's beginning to feel a bit better, but I'm not going to ask. She brought this on herself, and she won't get any sympathy from me. While she's sleeping, her work is piling up. It will be waiting for her tomorrow. We're going to walk to the Memorial Day service tomorrow. It's about half a mile from here. I'm sure she'll be quite dramatic, but she can walk fine when she wants to, so she'll just have to walk fine tomorrow morning. I'm heartless.

No comments: