Friday, February 7, 2014

Birthday Plans

I met Daughter's first Program Manager for lunch today.  She always understood Daughter.  She is now the supervisor at the large program facility Daughter attends.  She talked about how much Daughter has grown and changed.  When we first moved here, we decided that facility would be too overwhelming for Daughter.  Now, she handles it well.  It was good to catch up with her, and she provided some helpful insights.  She also confirmed what staff at the house has been saying-- Daughter has been happy and doing well at program.  She isn't claiming to be all stressed and depressed there.  It was a great way to start my birthday celebration.

Daughter was seeking to create drama yesterday, so I will not be celebrating my birthday with her.  I told her I'd pick her up Saturday night after supper-- so I don't have to get her bright and early on Sunday morning.  She was not thrilled with that, but accepted it.  I suspect she'll try to change my mind tomorrow, but it won't work.  I'm looking forward to my own quiet celebration. 

I have purchased a ticket to go hear the university symphony orchestra tonight.  They are playing one of my favorite pieces of all time.  I'm really looking forward to it.  Tomorrow, I will go shopping at the nice shopping center across town.  I have a Christmas gift card to spend.  I may go to a movie while I'm there.  It's going to be a good day. 

The snow continues to be overwhelming.  They plowed my street sometime yesterday.  When I arrived home last night, I could barely see it.  It was after 9:00, and we aren't allowed to park in the street.  I decided to try it, and my Equinox plowed through.  It took a while to make it up the slippery driveway, but it managed.  This morning I went out to tackle the snow.  I had spread out the snow over more of the driveway when I pushed through it last night.  I finally got out my garden shovel and managed to clear enough snow to get in and out of the driveway.  I salted the icy tracks I've left going in and out.  A friend will come clean up the driveway later.  He's been doing that regularly, and I'm grateful.  It has become extremely challenging to get the snow over the piles at the side of the driveway.  Administrative Assistant says their snowblower is even having trouble with it. 

I was pondering the possibility of hiring someone to keep the driveway clean in the future, then I started thinking about how much that would have cost me so far this winter, and dropped the idea.  Spring will come, hopefully soon. 

No comments: