Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Good News and Bad News

As I was standing in the ICU this morning visiting with a member, my cell phone rang. I checked, and it was Daughter. Since she hadn’t felt good this morning, I decided I’d best answer. Her blood sugar had dropped to 35 (that is very low—one of her lowest). I ascertained that her blood sugar was up and told her I’d call her back when I left the hospital. I finished my visit and considered my schedule for the rest of the day.

I was taking communion to two of our shut-ins this afternoon. One of those visits would take me about 30 miles from Daughter at the workshop. I called her back and told her I would pick her up right after lunch. It was out of the way, but I didn’t want to be 30 miles away if she dropped again. So, I picked her up and dragged her along as an elder and I visited shut-ins. Both women we visited knew her and welcomed her warmly. She’s really good about these visits, and sits quietly and patiently through the conversation. Her blood sugar dropped again a little after 3:00, right after we finished the last visit. This time it only dropped to 50.

The good news is that this low will be seen in the records I turn in to the diabetes clinic on Thursday morning. The bad news is that Daughter had to suffer through it. Fortunately, both of these lows responded relatively quickly to treatment. The frustrating part is that she ate a bunch of bread after the second low, which makes it hard to record the exact carbs and calories on the log we have to turn into the endo. At least she acknowledged what she’d done when I realized that some of the bakery rolls I’d bought for communion were missing. '

One other bit of good news: I found gas in the City for $3.15 a gallon!

No comments: