Thursday, October 30, 2008

Drama Update and Daughter's Progress


The other night I wrote about the triangles at the workshop, and how B and D are now dating. Well, Tuesday night D gave B an engagement ring, and they plan to marry ASAP. Daughter finished her conversation with them and turned to me and said, "Thank you for teaching me to wait at least a year."

Daughter is working at distancing herself from the drama at the workshop. The other day she called me sobbing, and wanted me to come get her because she couldn't stay. I was in town, so I told her I would come and get her, but first we would sit down and talk to her Case Manager, because we needed to figure out a way that she could stay all day at the workshop. As I pulled into the workshop parking lot, she called again and told me not to come, this was something she needed to take care of herself.

When she got home, she explained that she had gotten angry at the way some of the clients were picking on two of the more unique individuals there. I know them both. One is autistic, tends to obsess, and has a great deal of difficulty with personal boundaries. The other has a foul mouth and is prone to outbursts over nothing. Both have annoyed Daughter greatly in the past. Case Manager told Daughter she was proud of her for standing up for these two. Daughter has now asked to have both of them over to hang out. One is the foster son of my secretary, who does therapeutic foster care, so we're going to arrange for them to spend some time together. As Secretary says, she doesn't worry about J touching Daughter inappropriately, because Daughter will call him on it immediately (or slug him).

Daughter acknowledged that she recognizes the situation with her other friends is not healthy, so she's working at connecting with different people at the workshop. I'm proud of her. While these new friends have their own challenges, I doubt there will be the sexual acting out and drama that has gone on with the old ones. For one things, both of these individuals live with parents who supervise them closely.

Daughter is still very anxious. She is sleeping on the floor of my bedroom so she can feel safe. She acknowledges the floor isn't very comfortable, but says she needs to be close to me at night right now. I hope she talked to Therapist about her anxiety today, but she wouldn't say anything beyond acknowledging that Therapist had come to the workshop to see her. I've found that if I offer suggestions and then give her time to make her own decisions, she usually will eventually recognize the wisdom of what I've said and follow it. If the anxiety doesn't lessen as she stops having the low blood sugars, we'll talk to Psychiatrist about it when she sees her on November 17.

No comments: