Tuesday, October 21, 2008

An Accomplishment

Daughter always has big ideas about crafts and projects she is going to do. She has a very poor record on following through and completing her projects. She always wants to make gifts for the family at Christmas, and I usually end up doing the bulk of the work. This year I decided to try one more time. I was ordering some things for the church, and needed a few more things to get free shipping. I found some Christmas pillow craft kits. They looked simple-- no sewing involved. They looked like something Daughter could do on her own. I ordered some (either I'm a slow learner or an incurable optimist).
A couple of weeks ago they arrived. I pulled one out of the box and showed Daughter how to do it. Daughter sat and worked with it a bit, and declared she couldn't do it. Saturday she wanted to buy some more craft material. I asked how many unfinished crafts she had. She acknowledged there were a few. I suggested she complete something before she asked for more craft material. Sunday she announced she was going to do six pillows while I was in a meeting. I suggested she aim for one, and explained that I feared she would find six too overwhelming and quit. She agreed. She didn't do anything.
Today she came home from the workshop and proudly showed me two completed pillows. I was amazed. They didn't have any work today, so she sat and tied pillows. She did a good job. She was so excited and proud of herself. I have to admit, I was impressed. I needed some good news. She's put two more kits in her bag to take to work tomorrow.

5 comments:

TobyBo said...

Those are cute. My DD, Miss Dog Lover, is into knitting baby caps on those little looms. She keeps our adoption agency stocked...

and she has just signed herself and me up for a learn to knit class at the library. I hope it is simple.

Mongoose said...

Cool. :)

Reverend Mom said...

Thanks for recognizing and celebrating the accomplishment with me.

I realized this morning that since I praised her and wrote about her accomplishment, she probably won't finish anymore of them. But she did complete 2!

As for knitting, it's always been beyond me. I do enjoy crocheting, though.

TobyBo said...

ahh, so you crochet. I've tried that and I always pull it too tight.

Reverend Mom said...

Well, maybe you'll have more luck with knitting. I've always thought my problem with knitting was connected with my crocheting. Doesn't make sense, but that's my excuse!