Sunday, February 17, 2013

Not Quite the Point

Today I was preaching on the Garden of Eden.  I told the story of my nephew licking a cinnamon gum wrapper and holding it on his forehead until he was in quite a bit of pain.  He has no particular reason for doing it, his mother said the reason was he was a 13 year old boy.  The congregation chuckled, and I pointed out we all do things we know are bad for us. 

I was just on facebook, and a woman asked one of the younger men if he had stopped to buy cinnamon gum on the way home.  He hadn't but confessed to being tempted.  The wife of another man said her husband had wanted to stop, too.  I'm not sure they go the point, but at least the opening illustration was memorable....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the point of the Garden of Eden story? Seems like fundamentalists like to use it to blame all the world's ills on women.
But then I don't believe in the concept of original sin or that guilt is an especially good motivator for doing the right thing.

Reverend Mom said...

We all rebel against authority. We all do things that we know aren't good for us. As a result, we are broken, and our relationship with God is broken. We find healing in the cross.