Friday, February 22, 2013

Better

A chipper Daughter headed off for her program this morning.  It's amazing the difference a good night's sleep can make.  Her program is headed across town to the big mall today.  I'm not thrilled with the idea, since it is snowing and there were warnings about the interstate over by the mall this morning-- it was snarled with lots of minor accidents.  I am glad, though, that she's not stuck here with me today.  I don't plan to go out today.  Administrative Assistant suggested I start a fire and stay in-- she made it to the church safely, but said it was a very slow commute (she lives about 2 miles from the church). 

Tomorrow I plan to meet Sister for shopping and lunch at an outlet mall between us.  Sister finally figured out this year that my birthday generally doesn't get celebrated.  She asked me about my day, and I said it was good because Daughter didn't ruin it or spend the day trying to pick a fight with me.  She was shocked.  I guess she thought Daughter would be waiting on me hand and foot and doing everything she could to make my birthday special.  I explained that Daughter finds my birthday hard, for a variety of reasons.  This is a bit snarky, but finally, more than 2 weeks after my birthday, she managed to find time to meet me halfway between us for shopping and lunch.  Actually, it's major progress for Sister.  She has always been a bit self-absorbed.  I've taken her out to eat on her birthday the last two years, because I didn't want her to experience the pain of no family to celebrate with on her birthday.  She was getting really depressed because Mom and Dad are dead and she's divorced, and....  So I made sure I found a way to be with her on her birthday.  She finally figured out that I'm in a similar situation.  The only differences are I've never been married and it's been years since I had family around to celebrate my birthday. 

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing her tomorrow. 

No comments: