Sunday, November 24, 2013

Food

The reunion this weekend was my first attempt at eating in this type of situation.  Breakfast was fine, because they were making custom omelets, so I could order mine without the meat or cheese that cause me trouble.  Lunch and supper was much more challenging.  For lunch the only thing they had that I could eat was gluten free bread.  I went up to my room and brought the pecan butter I had made down and put that on it.  One supper the only thing I could eat was a baked potato and the diced onions they had to put on top of it.  Again, I went to my room and got some goat cheese and almond cheese I had brought along.  It was a little frustrating, but it worked.  I think the most frustrating part was having no idea what might be in some of the foods they were serving. 

Here's what really interested me.  I was with 3 colleagues from my original group.  We are all well over 50.  3 of the 4 of us have been diagnosed with serious food sensitivities/allergies.  I am also amazed by the growing number of restaurants that are beginning to offer allergy menus.  It would seem that are issues with food sensitivities/allergies are growing.  I think it might be worth it to do some research as to why that is the case. 

I suspect that all the additives in our food and various other modifications we have made to food has something to do with it.  As I have been able to wear smaller sized clothes, I have made a discovery-- each size is bigger now than it was at one time.  I have some older slacks that are size 14 and tight.  I have some newer ones that are size 12 and loose.  I think our obesity epidemic is related to all these chemicals and such, too.  I had dieted many times, and never with much luck.  I had about given up, as I'm at the age where it is so hard for women to lose weight.  I changed my diet not to lose weight, but to deal with other health issues brought about by my body's reaction to foods to which I am sensitive.  The result:  weight loss.  The weight loss has come without hunger.  As I've added more food, I've figured the weight loss would stop and I'd have to be care if I wanted to keep it off.  I was delighted this morning to step on the scale and discover I'd lost another pound.  The weight loss may have slowed down, but it hasn't stopped. 

This diet isn't easy.  In fact, this diet is hard.  I haven't found a fast food restaurant with things I can eat.  It's challenging to find any restaurant that offers options of food I can eat.  I have to plan ahead and do more work to have food available that is convenient.  Even food that I am not sensitive to may cause issues depending on how it is prepared.  I bought some cashews recently and then discovered they'd been cooked in peanut oil.  I can eat a few, but not very many. 

I'm fortunate in that my mouth tells me when I'm eating a food I shouldn't eat.  I'm sensitive to black pepper, and yesterday morning the chef added a little black pepper to my omelet.  I could feel my mouth getting a little bit sore.  I was able to finish the omelet, but made a note to specify no black pepper in the future. 

Some people I know have taken the food champ challenge, and are eating on a food stamp budget.  I haven't tried that, and I doubt I could make it work.  The food I need does not come cheap.  Fortunately, I have access to it and can afford it. 

One final thought:  there most likely are people who are obese not because of laziness or lack of willpower, but because they are struggling with food sensitivities.  When are we going to hold companies accountable for the things they are putting in our food?  When are we going to say enough?  I hope that I have changed my diet soon enough to improve my health significantly.  For others, it is already too late. 

No comments: