Friday, July 24, 2009

Seeing God's Hand

Last week one of the teenagers in the church brought me a note from his mother. She wanted me to add her brother-in-law, who had just been diagnosed with a serious disease, to the prayer list. I asked if this man was related to someone who has been attending and has the same last name. The teenager didn't think his uncle was connected to that family. Since the last name is relatively common in this area (I know at least 3 different clans that share the last name in this area), I didn't think any more about it. The bulletin was done, so I promised I'd announce it during worship on Sunday morning. Midway through the service, I realized I'd forgotten. I decided I'd say something before the benediction. That afternoon, I realized I'd forgotten again. I was quite frustrated with myself, and with the reality that my brain still isn't working the way I'd like.
.
During the joys and concerns at the board meeting, I mentioned this man's name and that I had forgotten to announce him as a prayer concern. Several of the board members thought they knew him, and thought he was the brother of the man who has been attending regularly. So when I saw the brother for pre-marital counseling later that evening, I asked. He told me it was, indeed, his younger brother. He had learned of his illness during dinner that very day. I have decided that it was a good thing my brain was not working very well and I forgot (twice) to mention the prayer concern. I've decided maybe God's hand was at work. I would not have wanted this man to find out that his brother had an illness requiring prayers during the worship service.
.
After my time in the woods while we were camping, I've been more aware of nature around me. I've been seeking to be more conscious of the beauty around me. There have been the most beautiful wildflowers in bloom on the route to Town. I've also had the joy of seeing deer twice in a field on the way to town. One day I saw two does and 3 fawns. Daughter was with me, and we were both delighted by the treat. I was also grateful that they were munching soybeans and not running across the road in front of me.
.
Last night Daughter decided to be more cooperative. The fact that she wanted me to take her to her softball game might have had something to do with the improved attitude. Her cooperation gave me the boost I needed to tackle 2 jobs I had been avoiding: clearing off my desk and filing an expense report. Both are now done, and I am feeling like I am overcoming this depression. Today I realized I had been approaching Sunday's sermon all wrong, and I'm now excited about the direction it is taking. I will know joy again.

No comments: